Welcome to the California Department of Toxic Substances Control's Temporary State ID Number Issuance System.

In the State of California all people or businesses who generate hazardous waste must obtain a hazardous waste ID number before shipping hazardous waste to a recycler or disposal facility.

This is our online system to obtain a temporary State ID number. Temporary ID numbers are only good for 90 days. You cannot obtain an EPA provisional (federal temporary) ID number through this online system. For hazardous waste ID numbers other than temporary State ID numbers, please go to our Hazardous Waste ID Numbers webpage.

A State ID number may be used if a person generates no more than 100 kg of RCRA hazardous waste on a monthly basis, and any amount of a non-RCRA hazardous waste. One hundred (100) kg is 220 pounds, which is about 27 gallons of liquid, by volume. California-only waste is commonly known as non-RCRA waste.

Temporary State ID numbers are site-specific and owner-specific. Prior to applying for a temporary State ID number, you must determine if an active temporary or permanent ID number exists for the generator at the address where the hazardous waste is being generated. Information on existing ID numbers is available at our Hazardous Waste Tracking System (HWTS). Click on the report titled “Search for a Company”. If an active number exists for the generator at that address, do not apply for another number. State temporary ID numbers are issued to a person or business that does not routinely generate hazardous waste. Some examples of non-routine (not ongoing) activities include:
    •  asbestos abatement;
    •  removing underground tanks;
    •  and removing hazardous waste that was abandoned in a leased building.

For more information on ID Numbers, please go to our Hazardous Waste ID Numbers webpage.

If you have any questions, please contact our Telephone Information Center at (800) 618-6942.

Email validation process